Fast, affordable & scalable professional Japanese translation
Gengo offers on-demand and high-quality Japanese translation services at affordable rates. Thousands of companies—both large and small—trust Gengo to fuel their global growth.
Working with Gengo gives you access to thousands of certified translators who have years of translation and localization experience, as well as our intuitive platform and embedded quality tools. Our expert team can help you manage projects of any size to find a flexible, efficient and economical solution for your translation needs.
Trusted by global companies
Choose between two different levels of quality and pricing to match your needs. All translators have been pre-tested for each level ensuring high quality translations.
From $0.06 /word
|Accurate translation of your text by a native speaker. Price perfect to expand your business to new markets.|
From $0.12 /word
|Professional translation for formal business use. Detailed attention to tone, subject, and meaning.|
Japanese translation tips
Know your audience
It’s extremely important to define your target audience in Japan. Unlike English, the Japanese language has many levels of politeness depending on who the audience is in relation to the speaker. Japanese makes extensive use of honorifics, which involve adding suffixes to words in order to show various degrees of respect.
In particular, English business writing tends to be much less formal than Japanese. Therefore, word-for-word translation from English into Japanese may read as rude. Therefore, it’s important to work with native Japanese translators with intimate knowledge and experience with the Japanese language, culture, as well as different levels of formality.
Avoid machine translation
So far, no machine translator does a good job at translating whole sentences into native-sounding Japanese. More often than not, machine translation from English to Japanese or Japanese to English is unnatural or incomprehensible. While machine translation is useful for translating words, phrases or getting the gist of a short text, it’s far from business-ready.
Japanese language facts
- Japanese is the official and main language spoken by roughly 127 million people in Japan.
- Unlike English, which is closely tied to Romance and Germanic languages, Japanese is not closely related to any other major language.
- The Japanese written language is considered one of the world’s most difficult to learn, with 4 distinct systems of writing: kanji, hiragana, katakana and romaji.
- Japanese is the 9th most-spoken language worldwide, but it’s the third-largest language on the Internet, behind English and Spanish.
Japanese translation services
Gengo is the leading provider in professional Japanese translation. With thousands of professional English to Japanese translators worldwide, no other translation company can provide fast and high quality Japanese translation at a more competitive rate.
Gengo is dedicated to producing accurate translations that suit the style and intent of your original text. Each and every one of our translators are qualified native speakers with deep experience translating to and from Japanese.
Choose between two different levels of quality to match your needs. Enjoy simple, per-word pricing with no contracts, no upfront fees, and no negotiation. Learn more about our pricing.
Reach the world’s 125 million Japanese speakers in just hours with Gengo. With millions of words translated to and from Japanese just last month, Japanese is one of our most popular languages.
Gengo has extensive experience translating from English to Japanese in a wide range of document and content types, including:
- Japanese website localization
- Japanese mobile app localization
- Japanese game localization
- Japanese product description translation
- Customer support translation
- Marketing copy, ads and social media
- News articles and entertainment
- Travel listings and guides
- Japanese document translation
- Emails, letters and more